Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Man shopping day

Tomorrow is the annual man shopping day. Otherwise known as Christmas Eve.

I know there are some people who love the shopping bit of Christmas and who think that it is all part of the build up and fun of it all. They are mostly female.

I did say mostly. I do know a few guys, who actually love shopping, but I’d say for most men it can be a real chore.

That said, I must admit I don’t mind the shopping bit too much (don’t mind is not love) but I do usually have a problem when it comes to that one special gift and that’s where I always get stuck.

I know I’m not the only one either.

I mean why else would there be so many men wandering around helplessly in the shops on Christmas Eve every year?

Over the past few years I’ve kidded myself into thinking that this was a pretty smart thing to do. I mean most people are in so much of a panic in the days before Christmas Eve that the shops are pretty quiet on Christmas Eve.

Except for men that is. Wandering around because all of a sudden at around 3pm some kind of annual survival instinct tells them they need to get themselves into gear and go out and buy something.

Anything.

Sometimes I wish I’d the neck to just find somebody else just to do the shopping I need, but the problem really is that - well you can’t send somebody to get something if you don’t know what you want.

And that is not something I guess that applies only to me if the number of men wandering around on Christmas Eve is anything to go by.

The real problem is that, to be honest, men don’t really know what women want.

In fact…and here’s a hint for all the ladies out there….the best thing you can do is tell us exactly what you want. I mean, exactly.


Men like a woman who'll say, "I'm out of this perfume. ‘(Insert name of perfume here)’ and add - the eight-ounce size (or whatever size).

And then add - you can find it at such and such a shop (name of shop is always a help)…. they're open until 9."

We can handle this.

And we'll gladly even get a decorative gift bag to put the perfume in.

Come to mention it…aren’t those fancy bags are a godsend.

For years I have tried to wrap presents by myself. I’d tear off a huge piece of wrapping paper, fold it and then watch it unfurl as I try to find the start on the sellotape.

In the end it looked as if the present had been wrapped by a blindfolded guest on the generation game. I’d love to just use tin foil – no sellotape needed even, but I don’t think it would go down that well.

At this stage I’ve also come to the conclusion that it is just plain difficult to buy a present for a woman.

I mean – apart from the sense of unease and awkwardness it can sometimes lead to – men generally don’t have a problem buying presents for other men.

All you have to do is find something you'd want for yourself. And buy two of them.

But the same just doesn’t apply when it comes to buying for women.

Which is why I kinda expect another last minute male shopping spree come tomorrow.

If you are a man reading this tonight, chances are I’ll see you in one of the shops.

But hey don’t forget that at least the fancy bags will cut out on the wrapping time and if you forget to get one, well there’s always tin foil…

No comments:

Post a Comment