Wednesday, December 2, 2009

It’s hip to be square

They say half a loaf is better than no bread and maybe we should get used to that because half a loaf might be all we’re going to get from now on.

Why? Well it seems almost certain that the recession has started to hit the baking industry.

Yep, it would seem even the bakers don’t have as much dough to go around as they used to, how else could you explain what happened today.

And what happened was truly shocking. I met somebody for a cuppa and he went to the counter to get us a couple of caramel squares as a treat.

No, no, that’s not the shocking part. (Although if you knew the person it was quite rare!)

This is – the squares were, (umm let’s see how I should describe them), the squares were...triangles.

Yep folks, you’ve read it right, notwithstanding the fact that these caramel squares were very much appreciated and what’s more were absolutely delicious, they were triangles.

That disturbed me a lot. I mean have things got so bad in this country that cut backs stretch as far as taking a side off caramel squares.

I keep calling them caramel squares because caramel triangles, well it just doesn’t have the same ring to it, does it.

Or because they are triangles, should that be, doesn’t have the same ting to it?

Either way, there’s just something not right about caramel squares being turned into triangles.

I know there are people out there who might argue that they weren’t always really square and often caramel squares were more rectangular.

But hey, if they had four sides that was enough for me to overlook the fact that the dimensions might not have been exact.

Taking away one whole side though, come on now folks, you’ve got to agree that is a serious development.

My fear is now that if this kinda cut back starts to sweep across the whole food industry we could have all sorts of major changes.

Like what would happen if - all of a sudden because of the cut backs - we were told that we would no longer need ‘five-a-day’ portions of fruit and vegetables, and they were being cut back to three.

That would be bananas.

So no, they wouldn’t do that. They wouldn’t mess with the stuff that’s supposed to be good for us, but how true is all that fruit and veg propaganda anyway?

Take the whole carrot thing and the fact that they are good for your eyes, well I poked my brother in the eye with one when I was a kid and he couldn’t see for a week.

Nope, as somebody once reminded me recently, the people who say that vegetables are good for you, never got hit by a turnip.

But I’ve been sidetracked from my concerns about the removal of a side from our beloved caramel squares.

I’m certain that it’s a recession thing, and while I was thinking about spending hours on painstaking research, I couldn’t be bothered so I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that the last recession hit apple squares.

And I know people might say that they have got used now to those triangley things we call apple turnovers, but I have to admit there’s a side to apple squares that makes them more appealing to me.

So I for one am not having it.

I don’t think our caramel squares should be turned into triangles and I’m considering even starting a campaign to make sure the cut backs don’t take away a side off our caramel squares and make them into triangles.

Unless there is enough dough made available to bakers to address this situation it might be a case of taking to the streets.

Flour to the people I say…

No comments:

Post a Comment