Monday, November 30, 2009

Getting around to stuff

I’ve decided that I’m going to try and turn over a new leaf (or should that be an old leaf since I haven’t got around to raking most of them up from the garden) and no longer put things off that I’m supposed to be doing now until sometime in the future.

The decision was made when I suddenly discovered this morning that I had about thirty things to try and get done in one day, all because I had put them off and off and off.

One of these things was writing another piece for this blog and part of the reason for putting it off was, well I couldn’t think of anything I should write about.

For a while I toyed with the idea of coming up with asking people on Facebook and the like to send me suggestions.

But then I thought no.

Omigod you never know what kinda stuff people might suggest and next thing you know I’d be trying to write a blog about everything from laundry to fog.

Then I figured that it was presumptuous of me to think there were any readers of this blog anyway and I’d still be left wondering what I should write about.

And that’s when I decided. Let’s leave it for a while and surely inspiration will hit me.

 

 

 (A while later….)

 

 

It didn’t. And so this blog joined a list of things I had to do today and I went happily on about my business of doing stuff that I should have been doing days or even weeks before.

And yet I was edgy because I knew there was something I needed to get done right away and I was leaving it too late and next thing you know this sentence was getting longer and I still hadn’t a clue what I was writing about.

“That’s the thing about procrastination,” my twelve-year-old daughter said smugly when she saw me struggling to try and come up with an idea at the last minute.

I didn’t know what that meant, but I made a mental note to look it up in the dictionary sometime.

And then I thought, hey, surely everybody’s like this.

I mean don’t most people have stuff they should be getting done, if not right away, then very soon.

And when they do get to that thing, is there not something else that has made the list to get done anyway?

I concluded that this certainly was the case and wondered if somebody had actually got every single thing checked off their to do list what the heck would they do then?

That still didn’t help with my immediate problem though and in desperation I turned to the internet for help.

Did you know that there is an actual society for procrastinators?

I didn’t know that but unless I really can manage to turn over this new leaf I’ve promised myself, then I guess I might actually join it. 

Not today though. 

Maybe tomorrow or the day after that… 

No comments:

Post a Comment