Sunday, January 24, 2010

I can’t get you outta my head…

I’m wondering if it’s just me, or if there are other people out there who find it annoying when a piece of music gets stuck in their head – and just stays there.

And sometimes it can stay there for a couple of days, just swirling around and around and you know that you’ve heard it on the radio or somewhere but you don’t know why it has stayed there.

What usually makes this even more annoying is the fact that quite often, the piece of music that sticks in your head is a piece that, well, that might not be up there among your list of current favourites.

In fact, more often than not, the more annoying a song seems to be, the greater the chance that this will be the one that sticks in your head.

Apparently these annoying songs are called ear worms.

Seriously folks, there has been scientific research carried into all this which has got me thinking that there are very strange things done in the name of science.

In fact, if you were ever to think about it really, there are probably loads of really cool jobs you could do – all in the name of science.

But I’m not sure if researching ear worms is one of them.

For a start I’m wondering why they had to call them ear worms?

I mean if people are finding this music that sticks in their head annoying and unpleasant, thinking of it as some kind of a worm is hardly going to help.

But worms they are and here’s another shocker for you – there are people out there who know how to put the damn things into your head.

Advertising people for a start. You might think that they have come up with a ‘catchy jingle’ but when that damn jingle is running through your head first thing in the morning or when you get up to go to the loo in the middle of the night, you should know you’ve been earwormed!

But advertising jingles are not usually the worst offenders. It usually is a song that is a favourite of radio djs who would appear to just switch and share the same ten or twenty songs at any one time – irrespective of the station.

These are the songs that get played five, six, seven – heck who knows how many times a day.

They are the songs like ‘Who let the dogs out,’ or ‘Macarena’ and hardly ever something good.

I found a lot of this stuff out by asking the google, but the google couldn’t help me do anything about the fact that I’ve had a damn song stuck in my head for two days that I don’t want to be there.

So I’m just trying to sort it myself by listening to different good tunes that I hope will help get shot of the one in there now.

Today it’s the Louis Armstrong classic - ‘Gone Fishin’

And I’m kinda hoping that will send the ear worms writhing away in fear for some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment