Friday, May 27, 2011

Power to the people...


I was reminded of that old saying ‘power to the people,’ when a power cut this week robbed me of the use of any of the many electrical items I use so often.
Of course I realise that the people who use the saying ‘power to the people,’ really want the power handed over to the people who say ‘power to the people,’ if you catch my drift.
And hey, that would have suited me fine.
I get on well with my neighbours and all that, but if the ESB had been able to find some way to magically zap some electricity into my house alone, I wouldn’t have been complaining.
But that wasn’t to be, leaving me no option but to start right away into operation survivor.
Frantically, I began searching for the candles.
I knew I’d seen them just the other day as well, all sitting together in a wee box for that just in case time.
Now was their time to shine (okay bad pun, but sure isn’t that to be expected!), but search as I did I couldn’t find the candles. It was just as well it was 4pm in the afternoon and fully bright outside.
Still, while I’ve kinda come to accept that having no electricity means I can’t boil the kettle, I have always been shocked at how much it affects your memory.
Well, okay so maybe that should be just ‘my’ memory, but I’m pretty certain that it isn’t.
After all, how many of you have been in that situation where the power has been cut off, yet when you walked into a room you still automatically flicked the light switch before realising?
Yep, I’ve done it hundreds of times and perhaps ten minutes later have done it again - which all in a roundabout kinda way suggests that power cuts affect your memory.
But it’s not all bad apparently.
According to some people, things like power cuts can help restore the art of conversation.
They point to the fact that people have to talk because there is no TV or radio or stuff like that to distract them.
I’m sure that it is a good thing in some cases, but what happens if like me, you are on your own in the house at the time and you still find yourself having a conversation?
“I’m sure the candles were in that press there.”
“Right, well let’s see Liam, where else could they be? Think now.”
I’m certain there have been people taken away by men in white coats for less over the years.
It also goes to disprove the old saying about people going mad when they get a wee bit of power - I reckon it’s the exact opposite.
In fact once the electricity goes I’m pretty sure there are people like me who all of a sudden find themselves at a loose end.
Even if you were doing something that didn’t require electricity, you all of a sudden think you are missing out on something because you can’t turn on the tv, the radio, the computer and most importantly of all, the kettle.
Indeed during the black-out (I’m not sure you are supposed to call them that when they happen in the middle of the day and it’s, well, not black out) I began to start entertaining thoughts of alternative energy sources.
And because the wind was blowing about 100 mph outside, it was hardly surprising that the first thing that sprung to mind was the possibility of a windmill.
But just then the electricity came back on and I thought, yippee, all’s back to normal.
But you know that alternative energy thing hasn’t gone away.
Yep those windmills are still going round inside my head. 
I'm hoping now they at least generate enough power to improve my memory...

No comments:

Post a Comment